How do I know if my hip replacement is failing?
Hip replacement surgery refers to the replacement and removal of your hip joint that includes a portion of the thighbone (femur) and pelvis. This process is used to treat not only hip arthritis but also injuries such as an improperly growing hip or broken hip. In this process, an artificial joint made from metal and plastic components is placed. The posterior approach and anterior approach are the two different types of surgeries involved with hip replacement.
How to prepare for the surgery?
If you take the decision to go for a hip replacement surgery, your orthopedic surgeon will ask for a physical examination before you go for the surgical procedure. This will make sure that you are healthy enough to go for the surgery.
- Several tests are done such as blood tests, and urine tests.
- It is necessary to improve the skin before the surgery.
- Consult with your surgeon about the medications that you are currently taking as he is the only one who can suggest you to take or stop certain medicines.
- The orthopedic surgeon may recommend you to lose some weight if you are heavy enough for the surgery as your body weight may affect your new hip.
- An infection can occur if bacteria enter your bloodstream. Therefore, it is better to avoid routine cleaning of your teeth.
- Individuals who have a history of frequent or recent urinary infections must go for a urological evaluation before the hip replacement surgery.
- At this moment, you should always stay with another person who can be your great companion as you may feel depressed as you will not be able to walk for a few days. If you live alone, it is recommended to hire a social worker.
- It is recommended to make certain changes at your home like raised toilet seats, shower bench or chair, dressing stick, long-handled shoehorn, and so on. These can help in your speedy recovery. Therefore before going for the surgery make these necessary changes at your home.
Signs and symptoms of hip replacement failure
There are some cases where an individual might not understand or feel any kind of symptoms for their failing hip replacement. But some people are aware of the symptoms and feel that there is something wrong with their new hip. Some of those signs and symptoms that may indicate a hip replacement failure are the pain while walking and causing difficulty to walk for any distance.
You may also experience swelling and redness around the joint or hip area. You may notice some lumps on the affected area of your hip. You may be able to hear a squeaking noise when your hip moves. This is one of the major and the most common symptoms that can make you identify your hip replacement failure.
Other common causes of hip pain
Though arthritis is the main cause of hip pain in most people, still there are other causes as well that can cause hip pain.
- Hip fractures
- Gynecological back issues
When to call your doctor after the surgery?
After the hip replacement surgery, if you notice any of the symptoms listed below then you must immediately call your doctor.
- Redness or tenderness in your calf
- Shaking chills
- Some kind of fluid coming out from the surgical cut
- The pain in the hip worsens
- Redness or swelling at the area of the incision which is getting worse
- If you have a fever of 100.4°F (38°C) or higher
- Swelling or pain in your leg or calf that is not related to your incision.
Avoid falling after your hip replacement surgery, as it may worsen your condition. A fall can eventually damage your new hip. Your doctor may recommend you an assistive device like a cane or walking sticks that can help you to walk until you regain strength.
Hip replacement lasts for a long time but due to the wear and tear of the new hip for a long time, it gets loose. In this case, you should go for hip revision surgery. Healthy patients who are younger than 75 years old, with no history of any kind of cardiopulmonary disease, can replace both their hips at once. Sometimes it is even better to have one hip replacement at a time for a speedy recovery. Hip replacement is the best option to avoid hip pain in the near future.
In the era of this stressful lifestyle, exercise and sports are excellent ways to handle it. Sports, whether it’s for recreational or professional purposes, are associated with the risk of sports-related injuries. Further, its incidence is increasing with the need for an active lifestyle. A person is more prone to the injury if:
Patients also want to know
Featured in 10 Most Trusted Hospitals in Pune
Our Health & Diagnostic Packages
- Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN)
- Serum Alanine Transaminase (SGPT)
- Serum Alkaline Phosphatase
- Serum Aspartate Transaminase (SGOT)
- Serum Bilirubin (Total, Direct & Indirect)
- Serum Creatinine
- Serum Electrolytes
- Serum Protein
- Thyroid Profile Total (T3,T4&TSH)
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D
- PAP Smear
- Haemogram (Cbc)
- Dental Consultation(Package)
- Dietician Consultation (First Visit)
- Obs & Gynae Consultation(Package)
For detailed information contact us
Expert Medical Team
VishwaRaj Hospital prides itself in providing the best services for the most critical departments. We are equipped with the best state-of-the-art technology,
Department Of Orthopaedics & Joint Replacement
VishwaRaj Hospitals,have a specialised wing in the orthopaedics department where our senior and experienced doctors relieve the long-standing joint pains and restore the functionality of the joints either by joint replacement or Joint restructuring surgeries. With our experience of 250+ joints replacement, we made our patients walk on the same day.
Was this blog helpful for you?
they found this blog helpful
Share this with
Last medically reviewed on