Is blood cancer curable?
Blood cancer affects the production and work of your blood cells. They usually develop in your bone marrow, which is the center point of blood production. When the stem cell in your bone marrow grows and matures, it produces three types of blood cells. These blood cells are red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. But when you have blood cancer, it hampers blood cell production and causes its abnormal growth.
The causes of blood cancer
There are specific causes as to why you have blood cancer. They are:
- Weak immune system.
- Specific infection
- Family history
The cure to your blood cancer
The answer to your question is yes; you can cure blood cancer. If you get the right treatment with the right medication, you can completely go cancer-free. Several years of scientific advancement has now made the survival rate relatively high. As per the reports, the curability rate is as high as 70 to 80 percent for Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin cancer types. However, the curability rate also depends on the patient’s age, condition, medical condition, and how aggressively the cancer is spreading.
Acute lymphoblastic leukemia is common in kids. Whereas, acute lymphoblastic leukemia in adults. Both diseases have a high curability rate. But the science has still to work on the curability rate of myelogenous leukemia in kids.
Treatment option for blood cancer
The doctors aim to eradicate or inactivate the functioning of cancer cells to allow the growth of normal blood cells. So to achieve the result, they use chemotherapy. But chemotherapy is an intensive treatment and requires the insertion of intravenous antibiotics in the vein. Since the treatment is intensive, it has some side effects and involves platelet or blood transfusion.
However, if the doctor feels like the patient is weak to go through the curative treatment, he may suggest gentle treatment.
- Stem cell transplant: In this treatment, the cure for your blood cancer may not be permanent because the relapse rate is high. Relapse means the problem may return after some time. This treatment is usually carried out by doctors after chemotherapy when your cancer is in control. Here the doctor gives you a high dose of chemotherapy, killing the visible or non-visible cancer cell. The system promotes new blood formation by the development of blood stem cells from a healthy donor. The doctors collect these blood stem from the blood, umbilical cord blood, or bone marrow.
- Radiation therapy: Radiation therapy helps kill cancer cells for relieving the pain and discomfort the patient goes through for so long. This treatment process often comes before the stem transplant process of the cure.
So to sum it up, if you have cancer, you should not worry. Science has now answered your problem. And with the best treatment and care, you will soon come back to your everyday life. Just remember to stay positive and hopeful throughout your treatment. No matter which type of cancer you are going through, you can now find its treatment easily.
Patients also want to know
Featured in 10 Most Trusted Hospitals in Pune
Our Health & Diagnostic Packages
- Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN)
- Serum Alanine Transaminase (SGPT)
- Serum Alkaline Phosphatase
- Serum Aspartate Transaminase (SGOT)
- Serum Bilirubin (Total, Direct & Indirect)
- Serum Creatinine
- Serum Electrolytes
- Serum Protein
- Thyroid Profile Total (T3,T4&TSH)
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D
- PAP Smear
- Haemogram (Cbc)
- Dental Consultation(Package)
- Dietician Consultation (First Visit)
- Obs & Gynae Consultation(Package)
For detailed information contact us
Expert Medical Team
VishwaRaj Hospital prides itself in providing the best services for the most critical departments. We are equipped with the best state-of-the-art technology,
Department Of Clinical Haematology
Was this blog helpful for you?
they found this blog helpful
Share this with
Last medically reviewed on