Is Childhood Asthma Curable?
Childhood asthma is not curable; however, you can adopt certain things to keep them in control. Asthma symptoms can be reduced by medications and avoiding triggers. To avoid triggers, you need to notice the cause of allergy carefully. There are two types of drugs:
- Quick-relief medications: These medications help your child during sudden symptoms. It provides fast relief during an asthma attack.
- Long-acting medications: Your child has to take these medicines every day and for a long time. It keeps asthma attacks under control and avoids airway inflammation.
Action of medications
When you want to treat asthma, you have to take care of two things treating an asthma attack and preventing symptoms. The doctor will prescribe the medication depending on your child’s trigger, sign, and age. The main focus of asthma treatment is:
- Avoiding asthma flare-ups.
- Controlling symptoms.
- No restriction on exercise or sports.
- Minimal or no medication side effects.
- Reducing the use of a quick-relief inhaler
Quick-relief medications are also known as rescue medications. As per the above discussion, they are used to relieve short-term symptoms. The types of drugs are as follows:
- Short-acting beta-agonists (SABAs): These inhalers help to ease symptoms when under an asthma attack. They provide relief within seconds, and its effect stays for several hours.
- Intravenous and oral corticosteroids: These medications help to prevent airway inflammation during an asthma attack. However, they have severe side effects when taken for a long time. So mostly, people use it as quick-relief medications.
Some categories of medicines used to prevent airway inflammation in your child are:
- Inhaled corticosteroids: After taking this type of medicine for several weeks, your child will be able to see its benefits. However, this medication has some slight side effects; the child grows slower than the average rate.
- Combination inhalers: This medication includes an inhaled corticosteroid and long-acting beta-agonists (LABAs). You should not take LABAs alone. It would help if you always combined it with a corticosteroid. This combination is essential as many kids experience severe asthma attacks when they consume a single medication.
- Leukotriene modifiers: These oral medications help to prevent symptoms for up to one day.
- Theophylline: This medication helps in keeping the airways open. It relaxes the surrounding muscle to help your child breathe easier. It mostly comes with inhalers. But make sure you are getting the blood of your child checked to avoid future problems.
- Immunomodulatory agents: Children above twelve years who are experiencing severe asthma can take these medications. However, you can also give Omalizumab to a six-year-old for a slight to severe asthma allergy.
From the above points, it is clear that you cannot cure asthma entirely, but you can control it. Take a doctor’s consultation before taking any medications as it can depend on a lot of factors. It is essential first to diagnose your child’s severity relating to asthma then think about treatment. The doctor carries out various tests to find the cause of the lung disease to cure it better.
Patient also want to know
Featured in 10 Most Trusted Hospitals in Pune
Our Health & Diagnostic Packages
- Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN)
- Serum Alanine Transaminase (SGPT)
- Serum Alkaline Phosphatase
- Serum Aspartate Transaminase (SGOT)
- Serum Bilirubin (Total, Direct & Indirect)
- Serum Creatinine
- Serum Electrolytes
- Serum Protein
- Thyroid Profile Total (T3,T4&TSH)
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D
- PAP Smear
- Haemogram (Cbc)
- Dental Consultation(Package)
- Dietician Consultation (First Visit)
- Obs & Gynae Consultation(Package)
For detailed information contact us
Expert Medical Team
VishwaRaj Hospital prides itself in providing the best services for the most critical departments. We are equipped with the best state-of-the-art technology,
Department Of Mother & Child Care
We are committed to providing the best care for Mother & Child Care.Our Paediatricians, Neonatologists, Paediatric specialist consultants, and Paediatric nurses ensure that babies and children are provided with urgent and excellent care. They are available 24X7 prepared to attend and treat all paediatric cases. Our NICU, PICU, and Paediatric ward are fully equipped to cater to all the needs of these precious patients.
Was this blog helpful for you?
they found this blog helpful
Share this with
Last medically reviewed on