Is Joint Replacement Permanent?
About 2.6 million knees and hip replacements occur in the year. This replacement is seen to stay for a long time. But everyone wants an estimated period up to which the relief lasts. Joint replacement is not something we want to risk.
What Survey shows
According to surveys help in different parts of the world, most of the joint replacement surgery lasts for more than twenty years. The researchers studied that the joints which were replaced moved smoothly even after twenty years. However, the aim is to achieve a few decades of the proper functioning of the joints.
In contrast to the above details where some patients experienced decades of smooth functioning, there were also bad experiences. The people had to consider revision just after a few years of their joint replacement surgery. Revision of joint replacement surgery means going through second joint replacement surgery. To improve joint replacement longevity result, many implant manufacturers are continuously trying to make a better implant. The implants are usually used for few times to check if it lasts long or not.
Factors affecting the time period
There have been hundreds of analyses regarding the longevity of joint replacement. There is no such rule to the relief that will last for a particular person. However, some factors can affect the longevity to some extent:
● Patient’s age: Younger patients require a longer time for their joint replacement to last. So if you are going through joint replacement before 50 years, then you will require revision. This effect is also because younger people are more active and engage in more movement activities.
● Patient’s weight: If you are overweight, all your body pressure falls on joints. Thus it can put stress upon your replaced joints. So to save yourself from going through another replacement, you need to exercise daily. A healthy activity can increase the life of your joint replacement.
● Patient’s activities: Some activities are not recommendable after you have gone through joint replacement. Even then, if you do, you may not see its effect at once. But eventually, it will cause your joint replacement to wear off.
After looking at the above details, it is evident that joint replacement lasts longer than expected. Hence to enhance its longevity, you need to adopt healthy activities and active life. Light exercises, regular cycling, and other activities can help a lot in the process. It is always good to stay healthy to avoid major surgery. However, if you are fit enough to go through with joint replacement; it can relieve pain to a large extent.
Patients also want to know
Featured in 10 Most Trusted Hospitals in Pune
Our Health & Diagnostic Packages
- Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN)
- Serum Alanine Transaminase (SGPT)
- Serum Alkaline Phosphatase
- Serum Aspartate Transaminase (SGOT)
- Serum Bilirubin (Total, Direct & Indirect)
- Serum Creatinine
- Serum Electrolytes
- Serum Protein
- Thyroid Profile Total (T3,T4&TSH)
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D
- PAP Smear
- Haemogram (Cbc)
- Dental Consultation(Package)
- Dietician Consultation (First Visit)
- Obs & Gynae Consultation(Package)
For detailed information contact us
Expert Medical Team
VishwaRaj Hospital prides itself in providing the best services for the most critical departments. We are equipped with the best state-of-the-art technology,
Department Of Orthopaedics & Joint Replacement
VishwaRaj Hospitals,have a specialised wing in the orthopaedics department where our senior and experienced doctors relieve the long-standing joint pains and restore the functionality of the joints either by joint replacement or Joint restructuring surgeries. With our experience of 250+ joints replacement, we made our patients walk on the same day.
Was this blog helpful for you?
they found this blog helpful
Share this with
Last medically reviewed on