What is the main cause of bipolar disorder?
Causes of bipolar disorder
The exact cause is not known, but the factors may include the following:
- Genetics: Most people have bipolar disorder as they have a first-degree relative, for example, parent or sibling, going through the same condition. Researchers are still trying to discover the gene that causes bipolar disorder.
- Biological difference: People with some abnormal change in the brain are seen suffering from bipolar disorder. The importance of these brain changes is not yet identified, but it may be pinpointed as a significant reason in the future.
Risk Factor of Bipolar Disease
The factors that increase the risk of having bipolar disorder or the main trigger of the condition can include:
- If you abuse drugs or alcohol.
- Events relating to high stress, such as the death of beloved or other traumatic periods.
- Having a close relative with the same disease as a parent or sibling.
There is no exact way to prevent the condition. But you can better your mental health as well as physical health to avoid situations of bipolar disorder. So to prevent minor symptoms from converting into a worsening condition like depression or mania, you can follow the following suggestion:
- Avoid drugs or alcohol: Daily abusing drug or alcohol can make your condition worse. Moreover, if you are not receiving the symptoms for a while, it increases the risk of it returning.
- Take your medicines: You may think that you have recovered and do not need to take drugs anymore but do not stop before the doctor prescribes you. Stopping the medication in the middle can also result in withdrawal symptoms and condition getting worse.
- Pay close attention to warning Signs: Recognizing the disease early, can prevent the episodes from getting severe. You may have known for a while that you have bipolar disorder, yet you decide to ignore it. But it would be best if you contact your doctor immediately. Also, involve or share with your family to watch you when going through an episode of mania.
Suicidal or self-harming thoughts are prevalent in people suffering from bipolar disease. So, if you feel any of these immediately take professional help or let someone care for you. Try to stay positive by following self-development techniques or by exercising regularly. However, if the episode keeps coming back again, you should consult a doctor about the treatment you can go through.
Deciding to book an appointment with your doctor is probably a big one when you go through the mental condition. If you are struggling with symptoms like anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and fear a lot, you should see a psychiatrist.
Patients also want to know
Featured in 10 Most Trusted Hospitals in Pune
Our Health & Diagnostic Packages
- Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN)
- Serum Alanine Transaminase (SGPT)
- Serum Alkaline Phosphatase
- Serum Aspartate Transaminase (SGOT)
- Serum Bilirubin (Total, Direct & Indirect)
- Serum Creatinine
- Serum Electrolytes
- Serum Protein
- Thyroid Profile Total (T3,T4&TSH)
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D
- PAP Smear
- Haemogram (Cbc)
- Dental Consultation(Package)
- Dietician Consultation (First Visit)
- Obs & Gynae Consultation(Package)
For detailed information contact us
Expert Medical Team
VishwaRaj Hospital prides itself in providing the best services for the most critical departments. We are equipped with the best state-of-the-art technology,
Department Of Psychiatry
Dealing with mental illness is often a lonely journey, but by partnering with VishwaRaj Hospital, rest assured you’re in the right hands. The highly trained team of clinical psychologists and psychiatrists combine compassionate and individualised care with knowledge of the latest evidence base and years of clinical experience.
Was this blog helpful for you?
they found this blog helpful
Share this with
Last medically reviewed on