Can Skin Cancer come back after Mohs Surgery?
Mohs surgery, named after Frederic E. Mohs, is a common surgery used for the treatment of skin cancer. In this surgical procedure, there is continuous removal of the cancerous skin layers till there are only cancer-free tissues.
The main objective of this revolutionary surgery is to remove the maximum amount of cancerous cells. However, it is done at the expense of minimal damage to the healthy cells surrounding the cancer cells. Mohs surgery is a popular choice for treating squamous cell carcinoma, basal cell carcinoma, and different melanoma types.
What is the cure rate of Mohs surgery?
Mohs surgery has a cure rate of 99 percent within five years. In the case of recurring cancers, it has a cure rate of 95 percent. It is why the recurrence or the chances of skin cancer coming back is very rare.
Possible reasons for the recurrence of skin cancer
There are some causes that can attribute to skin cancer coming back. Check out some of the possible reasons listed here.
- Melanoma: Out of all the skin cancer types, melanoma is the most aggressive one. It also spreads quickly to other parts of the body. It may be that cancer spread to other body parts and made a re-appearance.
- Family history: If anyone in your family has a history of cancer recurrences, you might also have it. It is one of the possible reasons that can cause cancer to come back.
- Missed cells: It is highly possible that the surgeon missed some cancer cells during the surgery. In that case, the cancerous cells will spread and bring back cancer.
- Overlooked tumor: There are various symptoms of different skin cancer types. It might be that the surgeon overlooked or misunderstood the signs and did not remove them. As a result, there is a high possibility of cancer recurring.
Choosing a surgeon for Mohs surgery
If you have any doubt, taking a second opinion is a wise decision. You can visit another dermatologist. Mohs surgery is a challenging technical surgery. Some surgeons even attain a specialized training – fellowship to master the skill.
Moreover, it is advisable to look into the certifications and experience of the surgeon before proceeding. You can also take a look at the patient testimonials before making a decision.
Risks associated with Mohs surgery
Even though Mohs surgery is quite safe, there are some possible risks. These include –
- Bleeding at the area where surgery occurs
- Pain in the region (the place from where the skin layer was removed)
- Development of an enlarged, raised scar (keloid scar)
- Numbness in the area of skin removal (it can be permanent or temporary)
- Itching in the surgical area
- Weakness in the tread, permanent or temporary (it can be if the tumor was large and a muscle nerve got cut)
Mohs surgery has an impressive success rate. However, there is always a small chance of cancer recurrence. Also, you may develop another type of skin cancer. It is why ensuring the follow-up visits to the dermatologist is so essential. Moreover, the doctor will undergo various diagnostic tests and ensure that you are free from cancer.
There is a prevalent misconception that visiting the dermatologist is only for emergencies. But, the real question remains unanswered. With the ever-increasing pollution, stress, and hectic schedule, does the skin not require regular maintenance? Like every part of the body, you need to take care of the skin too.
Patients also want to know
Laser treatments or laser skin resurfacing is a type of medical procedure for the skin. Here, there is a use of a laser to improve the appearance and texture of the skin. It is essentially the removal of skin layers with utter precision. After the procedure, new skin cells develop. It then gives the skin a younger outlook.
Featured in 10 Most Trusted Hospitals in Pune
Our Health & Diagnostic Packages
- Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN)
- Serum Alanine Transaminase (SGPT)
- Serum Alkaline Phosphatase
- Serum Aspartate Transaminase (SGOT)
- Serum Bilirubin (Total, Direct & Indirect)
- Serum Creatinine
- Serum Electrolytes
- Serum Protein
- Thyroid Profile Total (T3,T4&TSH)
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin D
- PAP Smear
- Haemogram (Cbc)
- Dental Consultation(Package)
- Dietician Consultation (First Visit)
- Obs & Gynae Consultation(Package)
For detailed information contact us
Expert Medical Team
VishwaRaj Hospital prides itself in providing the best services for the most critical departments. We are equipped with the best state-of-the-art technology,
Department Of Dermatology & Cosmetology
Was this blog helpful for you?
they found this blog helpful
Share this with
Last medically reviewed on